March 13, 2020 - Joint Statement from Wasatch County School District and Wasatch County Health Department Regarding School Dismissal
As directed by Governor Gary Herbert, all Utah K-12 public schools will be moved to on-line, at-home instruction beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 for at least two weeks. For Wasatch County School District, you will begin to receive instructions for how we will be delivering online education early next week.
While schools will be closed to students, principals and teachers will be working their regular contract hours. Our teachers will be working in teams on Monday and Tuesday to prepare for instruction to begin by Wednesday. You should expect an email from your student’s teacher(s) early next week with further information.
This dismissal is preventative and not in response to any case or suspected cases. In fact, Wasatch County currently has no known cases of COVID-19.
To help reduce the possibility of transmission, the health department advises following these recommendations during this two-week period:
• As we have no cases in Wasatch County and all Utah cases have resulted from out-of-state travel, we recommend no non-essential travel
• Practice social distancing (avoid large gatherings, do not congregate in groups or crowds, telecommute for work)
• Be careful visiting at-risk populations (those over 60 or compromised immune systems) if you have symptoms, including relatives
• Re-evaluate travel plans for the upcoming Spring Break to prevent bringing cases back into Wasatch County
• Practice good hygiene etiquette (frequently wash hands for 20 seconds, cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or sleeve)
We also urge informed, fact-based and well-reasoned approaches to this and all other public matters. Please know the Wasatch County Health Department is actively monitoring the situation and working with us to mitigate the spread of this disease in our community. District updates will be posted at Wasatch.edu and social media sites. For instructional questions or concerns, please reach out to your school’s principal.
For up-to-date information, we invite you to follow the Wasatch County coronavirus webpage at coronavirus.wasatch.utah.gov. Community members with questions regarding COVID-19 should call the Utah Coronavirus Information Line: 800-456-7707.