Tier 1 and Tier 2 Public Employees 
    Retirement Systems 
    Membership Eligibility Requirements
    Employees qualify for membership and must be certified eligible, if they meet one of the following:
    • Their employment, contemplated to continue during a fiscal or calendar year, normally requires an average of 20 hours or more per week and they receive at least one of the benefits approved by the Retirement Board. These benefits consist of any leave benefits, employer contributions to a savings plan or insurance premiums given to the employee or paid for by the employer on the employee’s behalf (this excludes payments mandated by state or federal law).
    • They are teachers, including substitutes, who teach half time or more and receive any benefit approved by the Retirement Board.
    • They are Tier 1 elected or appointed officials (excluding elected or appointed municipal court judges) who earn the minimum salary required by law beginning their first full month in office and continuing throughout their term of office. The minimum salary is increased yearly based on the consumer price index (additional information is provided on page 28).
    • They are Tier 2 elected or appointed officials whose positions have been declared full time by their employers.
    • They are in a probationary status and meet eligibility requirements. (Probationary employees who meet eligibility requirements must be certified immediately.)
    • They perform services through an employee leasing or similar arrangement and they meet eligibility requirements, unless they are being paid through the leasing company rather than the employer’s payroll.
    Classified School District Grandfathered Employees
    Classified school employees who were hired prior to July 1, 2013, and who have met eligibility requirements (above) with their current employer before that date, maintain their classification status until separation from their current employment.
    URS considers an employee to have begun a new employment period if the employee returns after being separated from the employer for 120 days or more, and the separation is not due to a qualifying leave (e.g., LTD or FMLA).


    Learn about, manage, and enroll in benefits
    LEARN - Visit the Savings Plans section to learn about the tax-advantaged accounts - such as 401(k), 457, Traditional and Roth IRAs - available to you. Visit the Pension section to find out about the defined benefit retirement plan your employer provides.
    MANAGE - Go to myURS to access your personal accounts. View information such as: years of service credit, beneficiaries, and savings plan balances.
    ENROLL - Enroll in URS retirement savings plans, set up or modify payroll deductions, and select or change beneficiaries. Access URS online enrollment through myURS.
Last Modified on July 26, 2018