Changes to the Utah School Handbook for K-12 Education
Goals of school policy and testing initiatives:
1. Decrease COVID-19 transmission.
2. Enable students and school staff to participate in in-person learning safely.
3. Enable students and school staff to participate in extracurricular activities safely.
What We Have Learned
· Students and staff who have been quarantined due to a masked close contact at school, and have participated in the Early Test and Return protocol have had an estimated 1% positivity rate.
· Students in elementary school and junior high school continue to bear a lower burden of the positive COVID cases in comparison to their proportion of the population.
· Mask wearing decreases the risk of transmission.
Changes to School Quarantine Policy:
1. Close contacts of positive cases in the school setting where both individuals were masked do not need to quarantine, unless they have symptoms.
2. If either individual was non-masked, standard quarantine protocols should be followed.
3. Schools need to continue to contact trace and provide notification to symptom watch to close contacts.
Expectations to support teachers:
· Teachers and staff should have access to COVID testing through their district, regardless of their status as a close contact or symptoms.
· Teachers will have priority access to the vaccine.
· Students and staff participating in high school extracurricular activities must be tested every two weeks to participate as part of the Test to Play program and in conjunction with the public health order.
· Any individual who tests positive for COVID must isolate.